Friday, September 28, 2012

The Downfall of American Pop

Upon listening to random stations on iHeartRadio/Pandora and vigorously searching through billboard.com's "Hot 100" list, I began to realize a quite troubling phenomenon.  I've seen headlines before that talked about a "British Invasion" but never thought it was so severe.  Perhaps its my Americanism and feeling of always being the best (Think: Olympics), or maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Whichever the case, I find it interesting to look at the rise of "foreign" singers in the US.  Sure, we have our regular staples (P!nk, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Usher, Kanye West - naming a few) pumping out albums, but all these singers have been around for awhile.  I'm looking at all  new artists that are trying to make it here in the states - some with more success than others.  Countries all around the world have shown that they can viral phenoms (Carly Rae Jepsen, PSY, One Direction), and my question is: What about the US?  We have a history of greats - Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houstan, Aretha Franklin.  But when was the last time the US had some huge international superstar?  We may have hit rock bottom...

While all of this seems trivial with all of the other major problems in the world, I think it's a great topic to think about, essentially getting your mind off of those other, arguably more important, issues.  Luckily for us, music is practically universal, and I feel that its made for everyone of every culture to enjoy.  Look at PSY's Gangnam Style, despite having raps that people here can barely understand, they still play it on the radio once every hour (I'm looking at you 102.7!)  While I caution everyone to lookout for the next great American singer, bask in the music of Carly Rae Jepsen (video above!).  I find this particular song to be catchy and fun, staying true to CRJ's bubblegum pop roots.  Yeah, the song might seem a little generic but at least it's catchy!

No comments:

Post a Comment