Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What is "Gangnam Style?"


I'm pretty sure we've all heard or seen it somewhere, "Gangnam Style".  What is "Gangnam Style?"  A question I've been asking for quite sometime now but, only recently, found the will power to actually search the internet for some answers on this pop culture phenomenon.  It turns out, "Gangnam Style" is the name of a popular YouTube video and single by Korean rapper PSY.  Recently signed to Scooter Braun, aka Justin Bieber's manager, PSY's breakout hit has gained over 221 million views on YouTube in just 2 months!  Gangnam is the most coveted area in Korea, housing 1 percent of Seoul's population.  The average cost of an apartment in Gangnam (roughly $700,000) would take the typical South Korean family 18 years to earn!  PSY, who comes from a wealthy family and was raised near Gangnam, has attributed his success to confidence and attitude.  Considering himself an outsider, PSY has derived his stage name from the word psycho.  

The song is composed of Korean raps and a cheeky, addictive chorus that will probably be running through your mind even more than Call Me Maybe.  The popular YouTube video is quirky and entertaining and even has a catchy dance move I'm sure you'll all be trying to replicate. For more information, check the article on the source link and enjoy the video :)

2 comments:

  1. brrrraaah! I was cry laughing when I saw this music video for the first time!! My roomates and I we're wondering where "this guy" came from, cause it was pretty much out of the no wheres. Anyway interesting to know about PSY. Sooo, can you do the dance? hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After seeing this video for the first time, it was no surprise to me as to why it's so popular. Unfortunately for me, I can't do the dance :( If you know it, perhaps you could teach it to me, lol. Just remember, PSY's motto "Dress classy, Dance cheesy"

      Delete