Friday, October 26, 2012

The Illustrious Fruit

It's safe to say we've all seen those ubiquitous white earbuds practically everywhere we go.  Either that or someone is rocking some fruit labeled "i" device.  If you guessed Apple Inc. great! If not...uh...

Anyways, because today (technically according to PST, I'm typing this at 9 P.M. HAST) is October 26, I thought it'd be a good idea to talk Apple.  A truly great American company - that changed the way we (or, at least, for me) listen to music.  What day is it today you ask?  The official pre-order day for Apple's holiday line-up! New iMacs, iPads, and even a miniature iPad!

The iPad Mini is the company's first "new" device to be released under the helm of Apple CEO, Tim Cook.  Steve Jobs - an inspiring individual - has invented many great things - pretty much everything Apple up until late last year.  I think it's interesting to see the direction that Apple is going in without out their leader/co-founder (Steve Wozniak is the other founder).  While the iPad Mini may get criticized for its less-than retina display and "slower" processor," I wouldn't be surprised if that 11/2 ship date slips to a few weeks.  Apple isn't a spec company.  When it comes to Apple's iOS devices, you probably won't get the fastest quad-core cpu, largest HD display, or expandable memory slot.  What you do get, however, is Apple's brilliant, well-crafted, engineering-marvels.  While I will admit that I'm no longer an iPhone user, I still use my iPad quite frequently at home.  Compared to my Motorola Xoom, an android tablet, the difference is night and day.  Sure the Xoom is more customizable, but nothing can beat Apple's design language and incredible app ecosystem.

Getting back on track (I'm a bit of a tech-geek, I know), how does Apple relate to music?  Simple, iTunes, iPods, iPhones, & iPads have changed many aspects of listening to music.  iPhones & iPods are ubiquitous!  Everyone has/had one at point or another.  Then there's the iPad, who doesn't know what that is.  While some may argue its a niche market, I think, in time, tablet PCs (iPad, Android, Windows 8) are going to change the way we use computers.  Need proof?  Look at Microsoft's big redesign in Windows 8, everything is designed to be touch optimized.  Finally, iTunes.  I've been using iTunes for about 7 years.  (While I had to begrudgingly had to switch to a PC for software reasons) iTunes is always one of the first things I install.  It really is a great, simple media player.  Don't forget Apple's massive catalog of content either.  Really, the music industry would be a different, Zune (anyone remember these?) infested place.  As for me, I'll keep my Android smartphone but use iOS as my tablet platform.  I've even grown to love PCs and Windows as much as Mac and OSX - crazy talk right?

Now bask in the wisdom of the Great One:

"Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn't really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while."
-- Steve Jobs





1 comment:

  1. I love Apple, too. Steve Jobs also changed marketing research. His famous lines,"It’s really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them." are really impressive for me. I think Apple DNA which he left is still alive in Apple. If so, Apple must continue to make us feel something new!

    ReplyDelete