Saturday, November 24, 2012

Christmas Music!

Okay, I must confess this year, for the first time ever, I decided to go Black Friday shopping.  There wasn't anything I was really looking for, rather I went with some family members to experience it.  It's a little scary.  Late last night (on Thanksgiving) I went to Ala Moana and Walmart, luckily I arrived early enough to beat any long lines, but as soon as the sales started people went crazy.  Unfortunately, being so caught up and surrounded by people, I couldn't capture any photos.  While waiting for the sales to start, I found a great station on iHeartRadio: 93.9 Lite (it's a Chicago radio station).  The whole time, including today, all they played was Christmas music.  So anyone looking for a music fix should definitely check this station out.  Below, I listed some of my favorite Christmas tunes (some I really like, while others are listed mainly because it's stuck in my head).

1. Happy Christmas (War is Over) by: John Lennon & Yoko Ono
I remember this song from when I was a little kid.  Who doesn't like John Lennon?  It's a really great song and a very moving message.


2. Last Christmas by Wham! (Cover by the cast of Glee)
Another song that gave me a bit of nostalgia.  The original song is very catchy and fun.  I particularly love the Glee cast version.  It stays true to the original, but gives it a slightly more modern sound.  I especially love the male-female duet dynamic.  The hit TV show took an old hit and made it even better.


3. River by Joni Mitchell (Cover by Lea Michelle [Glee star])
And....the show does it again!  Truly a classic.  Clearly, I'm a fan of Michelle's vocal abilities.  The song was already quite good, but I feel that her voice makes it better.  I guess it's personal preference...


4. All I Want For Christmas is You by Mariah Carey
Besides having the longest title on the list, Mariah's Christmas tune definitely gives me a flashback.  I remember my mom listening to this when I was really little.  Catchy, Christmas-y, and Carey.  What more do I need to say?


5. Mistletoe by Justin Bieber
Before you start, listen to the song.  I know it's Justin Bieber, but I like the whole reggae/pop vibe with the song.  I'm no JB fan, but this one song (as well as a few from his new album) are decent.  There are some decent covers of this song on YouTube, but in this case, the original is best!  I heard this song quite a bit in the past 24 hours, in case you were wondering.  [Un]fortunately it's stuck in my head.

2 comments:

  1. In holiday season, in Japan, the illuminations of Christmas make city silhouette while leaves of trees which beautifully turned red and yellow are falling. Last Christmas by the cast of Glee really suits onset of winter in Japan. It is gorgeous but melancholic. Anyway, I love these Christmas song and I also like Ashanti’s Christmas Album and Diana Krall’s one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, really looking forward to Christmas songs this year as all my friends do music videos for everyone to see on facebook. A little embarrassing but it is really entertaining and gets everyone in a good mood. Christmas music always reminds everyone of how greatful we are for everything in our lives

    ReplyDelete