Thursday, November 29, 2012

Diamonds!

NO, not the stone or the over-played Rihanna song.  This week I'm talking about albums!  Okay, I will admit I'm scrapping the bottom of the barrel here.  I can't think of anything this week.  With finals coming up and my math grade in danger, I haven't given this week's post much thought...(until now)

Anyways, what is a diamond album?  Basically, an album that sells over 10 million copies here in the states.  It's tracked by Nielsen SoundScan, which started this diamond certification back in 1991.  This week a new album was added to that elusive list, Adele's 21.  Ironically, Adele's album 21 is the 21st album to reach diamond certification.  That's a lot of "Rolling in the Deep" if you ask me!  Sweetening the cake even more, 21 is the eighth album to reach that impressive feat in under two years (92 weeks to be exact).  The British Powerhouse (unsurprising really) received well remarks for the album when it was first released early last year.  The other seven albums to reach diamond in under two years: 'N Sync's No Strings Attached, Backstreet Boys' Millennium, Santana's Supernatural, Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill, Creed's Human Clay, Shania Twain's Come on Over and The Bodyguard soundtrack.  Two other albums reached that all-star level this year as well, but took a much longer time to get there: Usher's Confessions (2004) and Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory (2000).  This lead me to wonder who will make that list next?  Most likely Pearl Jam's Ten from 1991, which sold 9.98 million so far.  Leaving you with a bit of Adele today, now if you excuse me, I have to work on my math take-home exam (sequences and series, fun...).


And a cover of the song by another British citizen:





2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that an album that sells over 10 million copies is called a diamond album. I have Backstreet Boys' Millennium, Shania Twain's Come on Over and The Bodyguard soundtrack. I also didn't know that these album sells over 10 million copies. I always learn something new from your blog. Anyway,I was surprised the British citizen's song. He is great! I think he can be a professional. No, he should be a professional.

    ReplyDelete